Food/Fitness 6 months ago What Is Self-Care?
I feel like everywhere you turn these days, people are talking about self-care. But what is self-care when you really start to think about it?
For me it means doing something every few days that is solely for myself, whether it’s taking a walk alone, listening to music or pampering myself at home. Here are a few ways I do self-care…
I try to take at least 2 classes a week because the classes force me to turn my brain off of overdrive. When I work out alone, I tend to get distracted, but when I'm in a class, someone is talking to me and encouraging me to focus on the workout and be present. A few of the classes I like in LA are Physique 57 and DR Pilates in Larchmont.
I love taking baths! I usually do a facial before getting in the bath and Violet Grey sells this one from Hanacure, which is an all-in-one starter facial kit that I highly recommend. I also like Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque.
Working in the garden has become of my favorite things to do. It's active but feels very therapeutic and meditative.
When I need to take a break and take some time for myself, I love immersing myself in a good book - that's not too heavy. Something that I can easily enjoy!
When I started journaling almost every morning, I honestly became so much more content, inspired and generally more happy! It is still one of my favorite ways to connect with myself, write down my thoughts and positive affirmations.
As you may know, I'm a huge advocate for therapy. It is the number one thing I do every week that is solely for myself and for my mental health and wellbeing. It allows me to step away from the chaos of everyday life and focus on myself, how I'm feeling and any issues or struggles I may be having!
More Ways To Participate In Self-Care
- Get outside, get some fresh air, go for a walk and clear your head.
- Make a playlist of your favorite feel-good songs that you can put on when you need a little pick-me-up.
- If you’re into cooking and baking, set aside time to make a new recipe that you’ve been meaning to try.
- Try meditation by using the Calm or Headspace App.
- Take a class you’ve been wanting to take – I’m loving my weekly French class.
- Watch your favorite movie or show.
- Treat yourself to a massage – or a manicure or haircut/color.
- Go screen-free: for an hour, a day, a week – whatever you need!
- Light your favorite candle.
- Buy yourself some fresh flowers.
- Write down everything you are grateful for.
- Make a vision board in real life or on Pinterest that contains favorite quotes, pictures you love, places you want to visit, things you want to make etc.
- Pull the trigger on buying a piece of clothing that makes you feel really confident and good about yourself.
- Stretch – don’t underestimate the power of stretching. Even if you can’t get a full workout in, doing a few stretches will do wonders for your mind and body.